Marni Naa Pudni Wirreanda Pepa Wardli – Welcome back to Wirreanda Secondary School!
With the start of a New year we would like to introduce ourselves as The ATSI team and the services we provide:
Antony Yates is the Aboriginal Education Teacher. He specialises in improving students school results, including year 11 and 12 SACE subjects. Antony’s focus will be on improving literacy and numeracy support and outcomes as well as overseeing the tutoring program and Naplan preparation. He is a Koori man and is particularly involved with the Kaurna community.
Azra Rochester is the Aboriginal Secondary Education Transition Officer (ASETO). She specialises in supporting your child holistically, with identity, culture, well-being, and providing intensive support to help them succeed. Azra will work with help to improve or maintain your child’s attendance as well as supporting transition student will undertake before high school and after high school with links such as further education, employment, traineeships and apprenticeships. Azra is an Ngarrindjeri woman from Murray Bridge who is studying to become a History and English teacher.
Debbie Johnson is an Ngarrindjeri woman from who has been working with Wirreanda students over the last few months also as an (ASETO). She has worked for nearly fifteen years in Education and has extensive experience in Aboriginal Education and Mentoring.
Lee Thulborn has worked extensively with Wirreanda Students in the capacity of a tutor and has developed great relationships with the students and has helped improve results of ATSI students since 2013.
Beki and Danni are our devoted volunteers, who selflessly support our students in various ways whilst studying to become teachers themselves.
How we Can Help
In the Nunga room at Wirreanda Secondary School we aim to support Aboriginal students in a holistic way, and there are a number of services we provide to help your child succeed at High school. These include:
- Lesson and Classroom support – a tutor can help with students’ school work
- Tutoring – intensive support is provided for student’s Maths and English skills
- Cultural Activities – we aim to teach language, art and culture through classroom sessions, workshops at Recess and lunch, and other programs
- Scholarships – on behalf of our students we apply for scholarships and support
- Community Activities – linking students with other young ATSI people from other schools, community groups and also Elders
- Sports Carnivals – carnivals such as the Nunga Tag (Tag rugby), and the Andrew McLeod football challenge that teach teamwork and the importance of community, are used to reward students
- Excursions – we have numerous excursions throughout the year to locations ranging from Reconciliation SA School Congress, Adelaide Markets and Parliament house
- Career pathways – we help students follow any career they are interested in. This could include going to University, getting into an apprenticeship, and also linking students with training organisations and getting jobs
- Attendance support – we work non-stop to remove any barriers making it hard for student to attend school. We can support students and parents in a number of ways
- Linking with support people and organisations – if you want any help with issues outside of school, we can link you up with someone who will know just what to do
And so much more – just let us know how we can best support your child!
If you have any questions, or anything we can help with, please feel free to contact us on 8329 7200. You can also email Mr Yates on: